BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

OhthankyouJesus!

OhthankyouJesus! Another tailgate is almost upon us!! (I have to say, I’ve been oddly…at a loss as to what to do with myself these past two weekends…) And, more than that, the Hokies are on a 3-game win streak! We’ve beaten those crazy purple pirates (arrrrgh!) from ECU at home…and won two straight from previously unbeaten ACC foes on the road (BC and NC State). Even notching the greatest comeback under Beamer last week against State. Dare I say these Hokies have given me back a little bit of the excitement that I had going into this season?? (Not all of it, that would be crazy and, wacky as I might be, I refuse to set myself up for that kind of heartbreak again when my poor little heart is just now starting to heal from the pain of Week 1.)

Our offense is coming to life (which, after being nearly mistaken for dead in the not-so-distant past, is quite impressive).

Darren Evans has demonstrated he’s fully recovered from his knee injury.

Tyrod still might not be the best quarterback in the nation, but when he needs to put the team on his back and make plays, there’s nobody I want doing it more; when he lets himself go and just plays, it can be magical.

Heck, Stinespring even engineered a decent game – his OL/TE formation which freed up Andre Smith for a TD was actually, I have to say it, quite brilliant.

I can’t help it, guys! Hope is starting to bubble back to the surface. As much as I try to squash it and ignore it and pretend it doesn’t exist (la la la la la la la, I can’t hear you!)…I love my Hokies and will always hope that they can pull it off…that they can rebound from the adversity and put it together.

And, well, they always seem to improve as the season goes on…so, maybe there is hope, after all? (I guess the lesson is to just stop scheduling these HARD games as season openers, huh?) We’ve got four – count ‘em, 4! – home games over the next five weeks, all against teams that we can beat. (Although, none are gimmes; JMU taught us that stomach-churning lesson.) This is a chance for us to really put it all together and get a nice swell of momentum behind us as we roll into November and tough away games at Miami and UNC. Hopefully, it’s just what the doctor ordered.

But, enough football talk…because, well, even though this IS a football blog, I know ya’ll really want to hear about the tailgate and the Good Times. Can’t say as I blame ya much there. ;-)

However, we are facing every tailgater’s worst nightmare this weekend: The Nooner. (dundun duuuunnnn) 1:30 games are hard enough (especially after you have spent the previous night being forced, FORCED I say, to have beer after beer with Rachael under the guise of “pre-game warm-ups”), but at least you can get a solid 3 hours of tailgating in beforehand. 12:00 games are just hideous and should really be reserved for…hell, I can’t think of any good reason for ANYone to be forced to kickoff that freaking early (I mean, most football watchers haven’t even finished the morning paper and the Saturday morning Target run by then…what is the freaking deal???). Except maybe for UVA. The Fighting Chris Longs should face nooners as punishment for failing to put forth a decent football team in years…at least until they demonstrate that they actually have a football team again. But, I digress…

So, given how early we need to arrive, we’re talking about a good ‘ol southern breakfast tailgate – eggs, hash browns, biscuits, bloody mary’s, bourbon, and beer. ;-) Oh, and Red Bull, LOTS and lots of Red Bull. You know, the basics.

I have no clue who is coming to this game (other than the fine folks that will be riding along with me, that is). I’m sure it’ll be a lighter crowd than we’ve had thus far, but that’s ok. Mr. FP is planning on going (although, if history is any indicator, you would be wise to “believe it when you see it”). Mr. Rachael is also planning to give this whole tailgating/football thing another shot. And, hey, that right there is reason enough for me to get excited – I am *thisclose* to converting yet ANOTHER person to the Hokie Nation.

Another tailgate is almost upon us…the weather is supposed to be gorgeous…the Hokies are winning again…in essence, all is right with the world! Let’s go, Hokies! Beat Central Michigan!! (And then we can get down to planning the sweetest thing in the world…the 3:30 kickoff tailgate next week for Wake Forest. The perfect mix of pre-game tailgate time and gametime under the lights...and you still get home in time for dinner and a full recap on GameDay Final. Ahhhh, bliss!)

Hokies - 33
Chippewas - 17

-FP

1 comments:

april said...

NO DRINKING ON FRIDAY. (Yes, I'm talking to you Rach.)

Also, it has to be said. POWAH.

Boom.